Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sam at Two

Sam's two year check-up clocked him in at 29.2 pounds (64th percentile) and 33 inches (15th percentile). The doctor observed that he seemed like a "mature two-year old".

Sam at two is similar to Sam at 18 months, but with so many more words. He can repeat almost anything he hears, even if he has no idea what it means. More and more, he is stringing words together and even making full sentences. Some of his most used words are, "I want it", "Right there", "Rosie sleeping", "I like it", and "Mine!".

Lately, he's really into the word, "big" and that's how he wants everything. When I pour him milk, he wants it "big". When he sees trucks or buses or airplanes, he always describes them as "big". This morning, I asked him to give me five and he said, "big five!".

He loves his friends at school. When we ask him how his day was, he just starts listing off the names of the kids in his daycare class--Layla is always first; then Arjun and then he says his teachers names. They are "Ria" (Maria) and "Fia" (Sofia). If I was talented enough to write a kids book, I might call it, "Ria and Fia".

He is much better about seperating from Jon and me, but he still has a strong preference for being together. Every night before bed, he insists on getting kisses from everyone in the house. And, when he is upset, he has this chant that he repeats over and over--"Mama, Dada, Roro."

He loves books and singing songs and is amazingly self-sufficient with both. He can sit on the floor and "read" books to himself for long periods of time and can sing medleys of songs by memory (video coming soon!).

He has started to embark on imaginary play. He likes to make us tacos from the kitchen, pretend he is leaving the house to go on an airplane, and the other day, he even made a joke about singing happy birthday to his bowl of applesauce.

It seems like Sam is developing a strong sense of self, which I think will serve him well in this family.



No comments: